A Happily Married Couple Experiencing the Joys of Everyday Life

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Greetings from Savannah-Day 3

On day 3 (Wednesday) of our trip to Savannah mom and I started out our morning taking another stroll around the neighborhoods. After we had taken a lively walk around the community I decided I ought to visit B. Matthews Bakery for Paula Deen's highly suggested sticky bun. I went to enter in and there was a "closed sign" I saw someone inside and knocked but the kid who answered said they'd be open tomorrow, just today was specially closed. After discussion with my mother and grandma I theorized or conspired that perhaps Paula was going to visit there today as part of her show taping this week. We talked about sticking around, but decided that the potential of her coming compared to a day at the beach was not really a toss up.

So, we decided to travel to Hilton Head Island, about a 45 minute trip away. We took the new bridge that takes you across the waterways of "the lowcountry", it was very pretty. We took the risk going knowing that it was supposed to possibly rain, but it turned out to be a beautiful day to be at the beach. After laying out for a while we enjoyed a club wrap sandwich at the outdoor lounge with music in the background and water misters to keep you cool (who's ever heard of such a thing?). It was very very nice-a great vacation spot. I'm thinking Tyler would love, love, love Hilton Head (the beach, golf and sun!).
















When we got back to Savannah we showered up and walked through the parks down to the River Side stores. We stopped at one of the parks and I was able to see the famous Mary Gump (my grandma sitting on a bench similiar to that which Forrest Gump sat on, but his bench is in a museum).














We ate at the Boar's Head Tavern, another really pricey joint (don't tell Tyler) but it was delicious. We sat by the window overlooking the river, what a view! All of a sudden my 6oz. filet and garlic mashed potatoes were lonely in my tummy so I decided to accomodate them with a little dessert. My grandma, mom and I all shared our first ever Creme Brulee-which just happens to now be my favorite dessert EVER!!! However I was still hungry after my little portion of dessert so I treated myself to some "Cherry Garcia" by my liberal but creative ice cream artist friends Ben and Jerry.

















After a great night ended off with a very full stomach, we had to take a taxi back to our hotel because otherwise we would have had to be rolled back home.
Tomorrow we are going shopping (Tyler, Layla & Louie I will be bringing you back a surprise) and we've made reservations at a very suggested and very upscale restaurant, "The Pink House", so we are excited. (We are on vacation, LIVE A LITTLE). We are going to dress up and spend our last night in Savannah on the up and up!

Thanks to all your committed readers.. stay tuned for our last day's update tomorrow night (Thursday).

P.S. Are you starting to gather what the theme of our trip was? (Clue:there's three...) FOOD, Relaxation & Paula Deen.
No, honestly we have been able to enjoy a lot more than just those things, even though those maybe the highlights of my daily reviews. We have been able to enjoy a lot of history and culture by being here... it has been an amazing trip.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathy (Pearson) Troyer said...

Alright, you've done it now for good. The descriptions of your meals have been so cruel. How could I even enjoy my grazing at the food bars at Fire Mountain today knowing you had creme brulee last night????? Palomino Restaurant near Circle Center Mall in Indy has really delicious creme brulee, too. Next time you ladies go on a trip, I am hiding in your bags and going with you. The words of the wise and rather large but famous Indiana cat, Garfield, "Food is my life", ring true for me, too!

Oh, an update on your husband. He was scrounging in the church trash cans last night looking for any leftovers from the Guatemala team dinner. I feel so bad for him. Maybe you could make it up to him and bring him back a FRESH bourbon pecan pie and some of the sticky buns from Paula Deen?????

1:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

6:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

1:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

9:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home