A Happily Married Couple Experiencing the Joys of Everyday Life

Saturday, July 15, 2006

A Paradox ( long but worthy)

THE SCENE: On Friday my mother, my sister and I (Natalie) went to Jefferson Pointe to go shopping. Like normal tradition we began our shopping spree (is it still called that even if you don’t buy anything??)…with a stop at IHOP. While we were eating our breakfast my sister made my mother and I aware that the lady sitting next to us was crying. We tried to nonchalantly check out the situation without being to obvious. As I looked over I saw an older lady with swollen eyes sitting alone quietly sobbing to herself. My heart broke for her even though I was oblivious as to why she was crying. Given the scenario I suspected perhaps that maybe she had lost her husband as we discussed at our table what we should do for her. In most cases we would maybe say that it was sad and think about it for a little while but quickly return to our carefree and happy breakfast. But today we all felt a heart tug and so perhaps for the first time ever, my mom decided she would go and talk to the lady. My mom can be very upfront and outspoken however; this sort of thing was completely out of her natural comfort zone. Yet, with a little encouragement she decided to go talk to the lady and invite her to join our table. After my mom went and spoke with the lady for a few minutes my suspicions were confirmed, she had just lost her husband nearly a month ago and this was the first time she had been out on her own. She said her emotions took over when she saw the different families and couples at the other tables surrounding her knowing that she would never share similar happy memories with her beloved husband again.

THE PARADOX: As I heard my mom tell me this story of this poor lonely widow (while trying to control the lump in my throat), I saw in the background a little infant enjoying the beginnings of life and exploring the big world around-so careless, innocent and free.

THE INSIGHT: This moment (or rather-GOD) initiated the thought in my mind that while a lady sits alone grieving the loss of life and a child sits a table away in the beginning stages of life -God can be the source of what both need for the moment. God is everything for everyone….he is the source of love, security, joy, comfort, peace, etc. for all people in their given circumstance. He knows what we need and when we rely and call out to him we can receive what he so willingly offers to all of us. What a confirmation and comfort to everyone that we are never without a God who can be everything we need for every moment and every circumstance we face both the good and the bad. When we left we told the lady that we would be keeping her in our prayers (and we will) and we took care of her bill anonymously, although I suspect she’ll figure it out.
We discussed for the following 20 minutes on our ride to Jefferson Pointe or so, what else we could have done, said, or offered to the lady in her circumstance.

THE EVALUATION: What would you do? Have you been in similar situations and have avoided the potential for a difficult discussion with someone in need? What would you say to someone who needs you? Could you and would you be who God wants us to be to those around us-strangers? We thank God he gave us the strength for the moment, for the opportunity, and that he would use that opportunity to bring that elderly lady hope, joy and comfort resulting in praise for our Almighty God.

THE CHALLENGE: Take the plunge, do something out of the ordinary perhaps a little crazy, make a difference in someone’s life, look around you, search out opportunity, people are in need all over- we have something they need we have something they want. Have you ever been on Fire? Try it sometime
.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathy (Pearson) Troyer said...

I was touched by this incident. We never know what is really go on around us. This woman was crying and needed comforted but there are people who may look okay on the outside and are dying on the inside around us, too. What a great challenge to us to be aware of what is happening around us and to be willing to do something to show God's love and comfort to those who need it. Thank you for this reminder. I count it a privilege to know and love you and your families.

10:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

1:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

9:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home